Tiredness ruled me in week nine of this pregnancy. No…
This post compliments the post I did recently about the things I don’t miss after having to give up lots of things in my decision to have gastric bypass surgery and live with the consequences for the rest of my life. Of course it’s only natural that with the things I don’t miss there would be some I do and they aren’t the things I ever expected to miss.
- Fruit. If I have fruit now it tends to be in quite small quantities whereas before I loved fruit and could eat lots of it. Now the smell of it, oh my gosh. Mandarins are probably what I miss the most and other fruit related things like fruity cocktails. Fruit tends to be high in natural sugars so it’s not something I can eat as and how I like anymore.
- Sushi. Since surgery me and rice arent really very good friends anymore. Also the seaweed freaks me out now because it would be so much chewing and I really doubt that my tiny tummy would be able to cope with it and digest it. I really used to enjoy sushi so it’s one thing I really miss.
- Eating and Drinking at the same time. I know this isnt really a food item but one of the hardest things for me to get my head around was seperating out my eating and drinking. I still miss being able to have a drink with my meals and it’s sometimes a huge conscious effort to not have any fluid near me when I’m eating so that I cant accidentally slip into old habits. In the beginning especially I struggled with not being able to take away the flavour of the food from my mouth when I had finished eating but now I have a couple of strategies to deal with it and its not so bad.
- Being able to use food as a coping mechanism. Before surgery food and I had a pretty easy going relationship. I would eat for a multitude of reasons but best of all if I was having a bad day it was there for me. Sometimes I really miss just being able to zone out and have a good comfort eat. I feel this especially when I’m sick, tired or especially stressed. I know now on an intellectual level that eating won’t actually help me feel better in any way and that’s valuable to know but I miss the comfort I got from it.
- Being able to eat quickly and just grab anything on the run. I cant just shove food down my face in three minutes flat and run out the door anymore. If I ty it has awful consequences and its really not worth it. Also if I’m in a hurry and I’m out I can’t just grab the nearest thing and eat it since I have to be so mindful of what I eat. While this just makes me more organised and prepared it can be stressful.
I find it interesting that there’s not actually much food that I miss but its more the behaviours around food that I still sometimes miss. As with any hugely life changing event on good days the tough stuff is easy to deal with and manage but its the bad days that you struggle more and find it harder not to slip back into these old comforting patterns of behaviour.
I’m so glad I made the decision to have a gastric bypass and I would do it again in a heartbeat so even though theres a few things that I miss they really don’t worry me too much. Is there anything you’ve had to give up through weight loss surgery or other means that you miss sometimes. Let me know in the comments below I’d love to see what things you occassionally find yourself hanging out for.